Monday, April 21, 2014

The Journey Continues...Wish Me Luck!

It felt so foreign this morning to see my family off to work and school, while I got to stay in my pajamas and have my coffee. It's funny how quickly things become part of our routines. 4 1/2 months ago this was the routine, but then I went back to work. No, I am not playing hooky today (though I am beginning to feel the pull of summer. 30 more school days as of today. 29 for me).  Today I put myself out there again, and I interview for Lane Community College's RN program. I didn't want to. I got into OHSU (my first choice), and it still feels unreal to hear (or write) those words! My family swears they just knew I would get in, but I honestly thought it was a long shot. I am just one in many hopeful candidates. Yes, I have pretty good grades and a prior degree, but I also have a bad grade in a very old math class, and need to retake an entire math sequence. So, anyhow, I did not want to interview AGAIN. Barrett convinced me to, reminding me that while we will do anything that it takes to ensure I can go to OHSU, that I will feel better if I have a choice. Now, that's a lot of assuming there, because that is assuming that Lane likes me as well, that I do well in their interview.

Lane narrows the couple hundred applicants to approximately 120 that will interview, and then adds the interview points onto the GPA and prerequisite points, admitting anywhere from 62-88 candidates.  My chances are actually, statistically, slightly better than for OHSU, who only interviewed 64 (narrowing the applicants down much further to start with) for 32 spots.  I figure I just need to be roughly within the top 3/4 of interview candidates. I wasn't nervous, at all at first. I hadn't decided until this past Friday if I was going to cancel the interview or attend. I have not put in the HOURS of practice that I did for OHSU, though I am sure it helps with this interview as well. I am a bit nervous about the format. It is similar to OHSU, but faster. I get 2 minutes to "sell myself" otherwise known as introducing myself, and 2 questions from a a bank of 14 that I have a chance to see 30 minutes prior to the interview. I then have 2 minutes for each question. This is just 3 questions total (well 2 really) and a total of 6 (!!!!) minutes to wow them. SIX. Yeah, that is enough to make someone queasy. At the other interview I had 2 essay questions I got to bring with me, 1 written response there, and 5 questions with a time limit of 8 minutes apiece. That is 40 minutes of talk time versus six.


I realized while researching my possible schools that I do indeed want a choice. They are both good choices for many reasons, and there are cons to both as well.

OHSU
Pros:

  • known nationally for producing great leaders in the field of nursing
  • smaller cohort 32 vs. up to 88
  • emphasis on research and leadership
  • new facilities
  • more diversity for clinical rotations
  • clinicals begin right away
  • Leads to Bachelor of Science in Nursing: will complete in 3 years as part of program
  • 3-4 days a week
  • high NCLEX pass rate
  • high retention rate


Cons:

  • Drive time of 1 hour each way (this is worth multiple cons though, because on 12 hour clinicals this drive time also cuts into even more time away from home. Cuts into study-time twice as much as Lane.) Harder to get together for any study groups and/or group projects
  • Cost (twice as much as Lane)
  • More gas money out/ wear and tear on car
  • Cannot take boards for licensing until 3rd year is complete
  • Working at all is not recommended entirety of program


Lane
Pros:

  • Half the cost of OHSU (saves $17,000)=less loans to try to secure. Easier to pay out-of-pocket for some costs.
  • the 3rd year is still through OHSU (for BSN), and can be done online instead of on campus
  • Leads to Bachelor of Science in Nursing: Can complete in 3 years total, or take breaks in-between
  • Can become licensed after 2 years in program, and have up to 3 to enroll in BSN final year. This leaves time to get a job as a nurse and work while completing online classes. Potentially less $ lost due to lost wages.
  • 2-4 days a week
  • A 30-40 minute drive each way
  • clinicals are 30-40 minutes away
  • Nursing Co-Op Program lets you take an extra, shorter clinical each term after first as an elective to shadow/work with an RN in a specialty you are interested in=more exposure to specialty areas. 
  • High NCLEX pass rate
  • Clinicals begin right away
  • new facilities

Cons:

  • larger cohort
  • not as well "known" as OHSU
  • lower retention rate than OHSU. May lose up to 20 or so students from cohort.

So all this to say, wish me luck today, please! I am now feeling the butterflies, and I DO want a choice. I am SO grateful that no matter what, I get to be a nursing student next year and eventually a nurse! WOW!!!! I could not do any of this without  the support of my wonderful husband, kids, parents and grandparents cheering me on! Thank you to all of you that have also prayed for me and wished me luck. Now I need a chance to pick what works best for my family, and for my professional goals. Thanks for stopping by to read me!

No comments:

Post a Comment