Thursday, April 24, 2014

What do you Value Most in Life?

The other day I sat in a roomful of about 45 other anxious people, thinking, reading, and writing furiously. I was at Lane Community College for the RN program interviews. We were given a list of possible interview questions and 30 minutes to make notes about them. While I cannot, nor do I really have any desire, to share what all the questions were, I will share 1, or the gist of one. It was a question that stumped me, one that I did not come up with a quick answer to, and ended up being one I was not asked anyhow…but during this process, I found my answer.

“What do you value most in life?”

I circled the question to come back to, and answered other ones first. I had a few things pop up in my mind right away to answer the question: my family, my children, and my husband. I also thought about other things that matter a lot to me: the freedom to pursue my education, fair education for all, dignity allowed to those dying, caring for animals, leading a life of inspiration to others. Then I kept thinking about it. Faith. Friendship. LOVE.Compassion. Open-mindedness about the differences of others.My time, (though often it feels in short supply, it is one of the only true equalities in life-we all get just 24 hours each day)J

I challenge you to think of this question. I was intrigued, and it made all the others pale in comparison. What is an answer that encompasses all the things I care about without leaving out anything important? Can you think of an answer?


I had been thinking a lot about Lane versus OHSU on my way to the interview (we shall see Monday if I even have the choice!). My mom had said something that stuck in my mind the whole way there. “The destination is the same. The choice is in the journey.” WOW, thanks Mom, that’s profound when you think about it. It applies to LIFE, not just nursing school. Right? We will all die, but it’s how we LIVE that matters. As I sang happily (and pondered) on my drive, I wondered how I wanted the next few years of my journey to go. I thought of this again when I came back to the question. “What do you value most in life?"


This time I had an answer.Balance. I value a life lived with balance. Working hard, but playing hard, helping others and being with those I love, learning but also relaxing, faith but not perfectionism, health but also enjoyment, hard work and vacations, exploration and quiet time at home, time with others and time alone. Balance is the true answer. At least for me. In the end, money buys nice things, but it really doesn’t buy happiness. I will take free time over money almost any day. Success is what you make it, but if the worldly definition means to focus SO much on one thing that I have nothing left to give those I love? That’s not success. Not even close.


Yesterday Matthew was sick, and B stayed home with him. I came home to an inviting home. Dinner was being made, boys were doing homework. It made my soul happy. I even felt I had time to shower and change out of my work clothes. The little things! J It dawned on me that I am someone who likes coming home to another person, not really the other way around. I thought about how to accomplish some of the things that matter most to me, and to combine them with the things that matter most to the man I love. I am 100% serious when I say that our long term plan involves me working, and B staying home, managing the properties we will have part-time, and having time for his hobbies, and caring for our home. Truly. This would make me SO happy, because it is all about balance. Maybe someday (after we survive the next few years!).
Until then…
“What do you value most in life?”


No comments:

Post a Comment