Monday, September 16, 2013

Snippets From My Saga: Part 10

One of the hardest things for me for a while was being around my own children. They were constant reminders that I had failed them. Because of my mistakes, and those of their father, they would have to suffer through having a broken family. They would have to endure shared parenting, split holidays, and ruffled emotions as they transitioned from one house to the other. They may someday have to make two Mother’s Day or Father’s Day gifts in school because we had each moved on. I was embarrassed for them. I didn’t want them to ever have to explain these awkward things to their teachers, or worse, their friends.  I once told my own mother, after months of acting somewhat unattached to my sons, that it hurt me to look at them. I saw everything that was supposed to be that never would be.


They knew I was hurting. I will never, ever, forget the wisdom of my young boys that I received at that time. For a short time before he left, I wore a heart-shaped locket with pictures of my boys on one side and of us on the other. My younger son, only 2 ½ then, commented when I took it off. “Mommy doesn’t have her heart anymore, because it is broken.” I remember clearly a conversation with my older son (5 then). “Mom, you just need a knight in shining armor to come for you,” he said, “but I am not sure they exist.” When I began dating again, and found a man I cared about enough to introduce to them, my eldest asked me simply, “Does he make you smile, Mom?” During these months after the divorce was final, I tried to never speak badly about their father. I knew he loved them, and that we would need to work together to parent them even if we were no longer a couple. 

No comments:

Post a Comment