Sunday, November 8, 2015

I am not sure I believe in coincidence...

I'm not entirely sure that I believe in coincidence at all. Let me tell you why.

Over 10 years ago I was, at the time, fairly happily married and my ex and I were attending church on a regular basis. When we found out that I was pregnant, we were thrilled and we decided that any children we had would be named with names from the Bible, and that we would raise the children up in the church. We had no help choosing names, in fact, I mostly chose them. First, it was Matthew, and then 2 1/2 years later, Isaiah was born, and both boys were indeed dedicated at birth in our church. Remember this, and I will come back to it.

Many of you know the story of Matthew's birth so I will not repeat it here, but did you know that my regular doctor was out on maternity leave? The doctor that ended up delivering Matthew, and saving his life, was the only doctor staffed at the entire hospital who had had a previous case of fetal-maternal hemorrhage a few years prior and the baby had been born stillborn. I do not feel that it was coincidence that I got her as my doctor on that day. I do not feel it was coincidence that she knew exactly what to do this time around.

Fast-forward about five years later. Things don't always go as planned, and I was going through a divorce. While my divorce was being finalized, I got a silly little email from match.com. In my frustration and bitterness I signed up to take advantage of the free month trial because I figured, why not? I do not believe it was coincidence that just a few days after I signed up I would begin talking with the man who would later become my husband and love of my life, Barrett. I never ended up paying for this service at all. 


Now, go back to the story with the boys. Good intentions don't always pan out, and it has sadly been quite a few years since I was actively involved with a church. Fast forward to this year, in fact to this very week, when the boys have just completed their first week back at school at the private Christian academy where I used to work, and just this weekend where Barrett and I begin attending church once again. My mom texted me yesterday something that sent chills down my spine. She was looking for her old Bible that hasn't been out in many, many years (we are talking since way before my boys were born) in order to be able to help the boys with their homework when they stay with them. She said she wanted to find it, because she had written down two verses a long time ago that she really enjoyed, and wanted to read them to the boys. It surprised and amazed her when she found her old Bible and looked up those very two verses… one from the book of Matthew and one from the book of Isaiah.  These two boys, who I had every intention to raise right and in a strong family, will somehow promote our family becoming stronger because of them. Coincidence? I think not.

No comments:

Post a Comment