Tuesday, December 8, 2015

Annual Christmas Update 2015

Hello again! It is that time of year full of Christmas cards, twinkling lights, good food, and memory-making with family. I am one of those people who loves getting cards, and especially if they contain a Christmas letter telling me how your family has been the last year. I know some people are not into that. To you I say, close the tab now, because this is my annual electronic version. Enjoy. 

*Disclaimer: Some of you will get REAL cards this year too, but we ordered less than last year, and the cards do not contain a letter-so this is your chance to read about our family's last year.

2015 By the Numbers 
1 new car.
1 new job.
2 new pets.
1 new school.
28 soccer games.
4 clinical rotations.
24 baseball games.
1 international vacation.
And a partridge in a pear tree!

Trying to think of the highlights for the last year is actually really tough because there are sooo many! I feel really blessed to say that. In the last year, Barrett and I were able to take a Spring Break road-trip through Idaho and Montana, and fell in love with many new places. No, we are not moving anytime soon, but maybe when the kids go to college! Summer was a bit tough, which I will get to soon, but we did spend a lot of time focusing on our family when we had the boys, taking trips to the beach and camping, and I did an extra clinical placement in the emergency department down in Eugene. This fall we also had a bit of a rocky start at the public school the boys have been attending the last two years, and it put a lot of heart-felt matters regarding their education front and center. Though it may have looked like a quick decision, the decision to move the boys back to private school at East Linn Christian Academy in November, was full of juggling finances, worry, and prayer, and a decision we had talked about making when I was done with school. If that school sounds familiar, you may recall I taught there from 2010-2012. The decision was perhaps the best parenting win we have ever had, and the school (as you can tell by the name) is a religious one that expects parental involvement and church attendance. Because of this, we have recently found a church we both really enjoy, and have already spent some time volunteering at various events. I think the kids are thrilled with that on all accounts, and I think it is helping us to parent better than we ever have. Win-win it seems!

In June, I was getting ready to take finals, and Barrett got devastating news. The company, Symantec, he had worked for the past 4 years, sold off the division that Barrett worked in to a company called Veritas, and over 200 people were laid off. He was one of them. We were trying not to panic, but with me in school full-time, our only income was now going away. The first 2 months of summer were very tough as Matthew finished baseball, school wound down, and Barrett hurried to interview everywhere he could. I have never been more proud of him. At the end of July, Barrett scored a position with none other than Veritas, as a Senior Technical Consultant, a position that is work-from-home, and better salary than before, though does require some travel.  He has only had to travel once so far (we've been really lucky!), to Virginia, and I did tell him if ever he has to go overseas, I am coming too! Barrett is settling into the new job, and loves the East coast hours he works, which allows him to take the boys to school and pick them up most days, help with Cub Scouts, and just be altogether more available to our family. 

 In this past year I have been very focused on my nursing program. I have had clinical placements thus far in: oncology, orthopedics, medical/surgical, emergency, and cardiac units. In January I will be placed on the neurology floor for my regular clinical and labor & delivery for my optional clinical. I also got to experience a shift in a NICU, did partial shift with CAHOOTS (Crisis Assistance Helping Out On The Streets), volunteered at a free clinic and Thanksgiving dinner, will be shadowing a Family Nurse Practitioner for a day, and have another one shift experience in another labor and delivery unit. If it sounds crazy busy, that's because it is, and because I try to get as many things in as I can so I can decide what to do as a nurse. Still deciding. I also am the current Student Nurses Association President, so I am very involved in that, and was even a speaker at Sweet Home High's Career Day! It isn't all work though, I did get to enjoy a week in Italy this past summer with a friend! You can read about it here: http://cadaversandcoffee.blogspot.com/2015_08_01_archive.html . I also got a new car recently, though I might be mourning the Charger a tad bit, my new Honda CR-V is a much better economical win for all the driving I do! Hard to believe in June I will complete my program!!



Matthew played baseball this past summer, and was in love! He was trained to play both as catcher and pitcher, and did so well! Baseball takes a lot of time, but we were happy to watch his team go to the regional play-offs. He is also still playing soccer, of course, and it should be interesting to attempt to balance the two sports again this coming spring! Matthew cannot wait to play sports for his school, and is hoping to be good enough next year to play with the 6-8th graders (though he'll be in 5th grade). He loves being back at East Linn, and his teacher said it feels like he has been there the whole time! Taking Bible class has lead to many deep conversations I probably would not yet have had with him, but I think this is a very good thing! He also gets to take Spanish at his new school, and loves it. 

Isaiah is thriving after switching schools! He went from as classroom of over 25 students to one of 18. This has made a huge deal, as has having PE, Music, & Spanish to change things up a bit. He is reading the first Harry Potter book currently, and it just thrills me! Isaiah also had a great soccer season, and got to "play-up" numerous times on Matt's team. I love watching them playing together! Isaiah has discovered Minecraft (like many kids his age!), and enjoys talking all about it to Barrett. He is also thrilled to have not one, but two, German Shepherds, as we adopted a 7 year-old female, Stormy, at the end of summer. The other new pet is Ball Python, Dorothy, who lives in Matthew's room, but the boys share her. I think the only complaint little Zay has this year is that we are not going on a big trip to Maui like last Christmas. Ask this kid where he'd like to go, and Maui is the #1 answer! Maybe a family trip this summer, though we are honestly leaning toward a lake-house in Anchorage to check out Alaska (which I know, I know, is not quite the same!! Though MUCH cheaper! Haha!). 

I think those are the highlights!I tried to include some pictures that have not been online as much. I wish you and your family a very merry Christmas, and a phenomenal, blessed 2016 filled with love and happiness. 

Sincerely, 
Sarah (and Barrett, Matthew & Isaiah)






No comments:

Post a Comment